Due to their charming personality & small build, pugs are among one of the favored breeds of many dog lovers across the world. Originally hailing from China they are compact in size but big on personality. Pugs are a very loving breed and they love to follow their owners around. Many people refer to them as “shadows”. Meaning, wherever you go they are sure to follow. Pugs are also very sociable and are a great family dog. Safe to be around kids and small children. This lovable canine is also the perfect petite size, known as a “toy breed” pugs usually grow to be 10-13 inches in size. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel falls into this group as well. Additionally, they can also be very mischievous. So much so, it makes you wonder, what can pugs not eat?

 

 

What Can Pugs Not Eat

 

Foods That Pugs Can Not Eat

You may be tempted to give your adorable puppy some of your food, but the truth is it may do more harm than good. Dogs have very delicate internal functions and should be monitored very closely. Because of their small build, and intense medical record, there are many things that will upset the internal balance of your pug. Pugs are sure to follow you everywhere and if they see you eating anything they will more than likely want a bite themselves. What can pugs not eat? An owner may not be able to be around their beloved pug all the time & wouldn’t want them to get hurt. Seeing as how they are always getting into things, they may wound themselves in some trouble.

There are many things that may make your pug sickly and should be avoided.

 

what can pugs not eatGrapes- Grapes and raisins alike can be very toxic to your dog and it can lead to them having bad smelling breath and more serious side effects like seizures can also occur. (abdominal pain)

 

 

 

what can pugs not eatAvocado- Avocados contain “pits” which are not easily digested by dogs. Although the debate is up in the air about the toxicity of avocados in dogs they are still very toxic to many other animals. Because of this, they should be avoided. There are many documented cases of dogs getting sick because of them.

 

 

what can pugs not eatMushroom- Mushrooms can be very toxic to dogs. Many of the natural forms, meaning found naturally in the wild, can cause seizures and dogs can die within hours of ingesting one. They can also cause liver failure and diarrhea.

 

 

 

Garlic- Considered to be more dangerous to dogs than onions, garlic is also poisonous. Garlic, onions, and leeks are known to cause dogs to collapse. Symptoms of poison from the “Allium family include pale gums, drooling, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. Consequently, they also affect the red blood cells, which may cause anemia in dogs.

 

 

 

Chocolate- Known to be the most infamous dog allergen. Chocolate is extremely dangerous to pugs. More specifically dark chocolate. Also, chocolate can lead to tremors and seizures. Vets are likely to induce vomiting if your dog comes into the vet hospital with chocolate poisoning.

 

 

 

Chicken bones- People love to give bones to their pets, but, bones such as chicken bones and fish bones can be potentially hazardous to your pup. They are very small and bones can damage their intestines and stomach.

 

What Can Pugs Not Eat; History

Pugs have a history of being a dog of royalty. Belonging to many kings and queens of the past. Kings and queens including Chinese royalty, as stated before, and European royalty as well. They also have many health conditions that are passed down to them from their predecessors, just like royalty. Pugs are among one of the worse affected breeds when it comes to many conditions and diseases. Furthermore, pugs have a hugely disproportionate rate when it comes to conditions such as hip dysplasia, Hemivertebrae, and (NME). Pugs also have very compact, narrow, breathing passageways. Which, in part, due to their very small & stout stature.

 

Condition Overview

 

Hip Dysplasia–  By definition is an abnormal forming of the hip-socket. Hip Dysplasia can cause severe painful joint arthritis. Pugs are among one of the top ten breeds of dogs that are overly affected by this condition.

 

Hemivertebrae– Hemivertebrae is a medical condition is dogs where their vertebrae become deformed. One of the most common forms of hemivertebrae in pugs is spinal. Spinal Hemivertebrae can cause paralysis. Many dogs have this condition in their tails, but there is no emanate danger.

 

Necrotizing Meningoencephalitis- Also known as (NME) is a condition that affects the brain and spinal cord. In addition, it is essentially inflammation in these places. Dogs that are diagnosed with this condition do not overcome it as there isn’t currently a cure for it. This condition also affects many other small breeds of dogs as well.

 

Conclusion

Playful and docile, your pug loves to be loved and will love you in return. Pugs are the perfect companion, in fact, they are called companion dogs. With that being said, you wouldn’t want to feed your best friend anything that would intentionally harm them. When you are eating and your pup is around you should pay close attention to what you are eating so you don’t accidentally give them something that would harm them. You should always be wary when it comes to feeding any of your pets something that you think will harm them. Animals can have food allergies just like people, so you should consult with your vet if you have any questions about your pet.